Pages

Friday 26 February 2016

Wine in the Grocery Store

VQA coming to a store near you. 
From Ontario Government website
Kathleen Wynn buying some bread and some wine at a grocery store.

Let's get this out of the way; I am not writing a political article.  This is a wine blog and this simply wine news that affects wineries in the region.  So now that is out of the way onto the blog. The government of Ontario announced that they are opening wine sales to grocery stores.  The plan is to eventually allow wine sales in over 300 stores.  However, it'll start with 70 in Fall.  
“Finally, people in Ontario will be able to buy their wine and groceries at the same place, at the same time, at the same checkout. This is a win-win-win scenario — more choice and greater convenience for Ontario’s wine lovers, increased opportunities for Ontario’s winemakers and the many farmers who support them, and a brand-new sales channel for wine producers from around the world.” - Kathleen Wynn, Premier of Ontario.
This is pretty exciting stuff. I can now buy my steaks and vegetables at the same time I buy my wine.  I think this great. I can get everything I want in one location and that's amazing.  This not just wine.  They are also, allowing ciders to be sold in the stores too.  There are some excellent ciders out there.  That is a another blog article for another day because there is a lot I can write about there.  

The challenge is going to be which grocery stores get to sell wine.  When beer was introduced to Ontario grocery stores they didn't introduce it to St. Catharines.  I think they should start off by putting the stores in Niagara Region.  Just my little way of looking after our growers and wine makers.   

    

10 comments:

  1. I too am excited to be able to purchase wine with my groceries. Hopefully this product introduction goes better than beer in grocery stores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I came to Canada last fall, I discovered that you couldn't buy any alcohol at the grocery stores. In Ukraine you can buy all kinds of drinks at any store and any time (maybe that's why we have a high level of crimes...) But idea to sell just wine and cider is really good and convenient for people. Thanks for your topic, John!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Would love to hear your thoughts on some good ciders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know ciders can be tricky. Sometimes they are too sweet for my tastes. I often find myself drinking Somerbsy because it's popular and easy to find.

      Delete
  4. While I am excited for wine to be sold in grocery stores, I do worry if this will impact the amount of business local wineries get. Yes, it is convenient, but the experience and culture surrounding wine is something I worry could be lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people, especially locals, go to wineries for the experience and because they want to do something different. Some wineries are building on this experience by adding restaurants or food trucks. A modern Ontario winery or brewery needs to sell the experience, which I feel many do very well.

      Delete
  5. This can prove very beneficial for Ontario's economy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great news!!! Being able to do your grocery shopping and pick the wine you wanna pair with it's super convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exciting news when convenience outweigh the experience a days trip to the winery to select your favourite flavor filled bottles, thoughtful insight on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't drink wines or anything alcoholic but after reading comments I can see people are really excited about getting wines from grocery stores.
    great post Jon !

    ReplyDelete